- CA CDA D-3
- 1863 - 1964
This fonds provides information on the foundation, evolution, and closing of the Spanish Residential School. It documents the activities of the residential schools, including the technical training of Indigenous children. The school was administered by the Jesuit fathers of the Upper Canada Province, initially named Independent Mission of Canada (1887-1907), Province of Canada (1907-1924), then Vice-Province of Upper Canada (1924-1939). The fonds contains records on the construction of buildings for the school at Spanish in 1913, documents on the social and cultural life at the residential schools, documents about student life, and records about the closing of the residential school for boys in 1958.
The fonds is organized into six series: Administration and financial records; Spanish Residential School buildings; Jesuit personnel; Student affairs; Spanish Residential School Photography Laboratory; and Student achievements and community life. It contains correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, financial statements, student registers, and student publications. It also comprises photographs associated with the school cultural and sports programs, including hockey, photographs of the schools’ buildings and Jesuit personnel, and photographs of the Spanish community.