Dossier 2.50 - Fundraising booklet and booklet on the official opening of the arena, Garnier Residential School

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Fundraising booklet and booklet on the official opening of the arena, Garnier Residential School

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Dossier

Cote

CDA D-3.2.50

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1913-1958)

Histoire administrative

The Jesuit Residential School at Spanish was a residential school for Indigenous peoples operated by the Society of Jesus. Prior to the activities at Spanish, a day school was established in 1838 by the Jesuits at Wikwemikong on Manitoulin Island. The school for Indigenous boys was administered by the Jesuits and, after 1862, the school for Indigenous girls was managed by the Daughters of Mary. The Indigenous students at Wikwemikong, and then Spanish, came from First Nations communities in the Manitoulin Island area, and as far as the Ahkwesáhsne, Kahnawà:ke, and Kanehsatà:ke communities.

After the 1850 Robinson-Huron Treaty, when the federal government began providing financial support for education at Wikwemikong, the schools were reorganized and became the Wikwemikong Industrial School. The school officially opened on September 3, 1878. It began to receive major financial support from the federal government, which increased the collaboration between the Jesuits and the Department of Indian Affairs regarding the management of the institution and the education of Indigenous students. Following the 1894 amendment to the Indian Act, which required First Nations children to attend residential schools, the school at Wikwemikong became part of the educational system controlled by the Department of Indian Affairs.

Following the federal government’s recommendations regarding the education of Indigenous children, in addition to conflicts at Wikwemikong including the 1911 strike and the burning of the girls’ school, it was decided to transfer the residential school out of proximity of Indigenous communities. This decision was taken along new federal grant systems to finance residential schools. The residential school moved to the town of Spanish, and was renamed Spanish Indian Residential School. It opened on July 23, 1913, with the arrival of the boys to the facility. The Spanish Indian Residential School for Girls opened on or around August 15, 1913.

Increased enrollment, particularly from the Kahnawà:ke, Ahkwesáhsne, and Kanehsatà:ke communities, expanded the mission, which needed to tend to the school all year long. The school’s operations, with the contribution of Indigenous children, included managing the farm, growing vegetables, maintaining the buildings, and teaching different trades.

Discussions involved the development of a high school program to revitalize the scope of the Jesuits’ missionary work. The high school, named St. Charles Garnier, began its operations in 1947. Enrollment increased rapidly during the first few years of operation but began to decline in the mid-1950s. This, combined with internal strife, Jesuit personnel disillusionment, and problems of infrastructure, led to the closing of the elementary and high schools at Spanish. The school for boys closed on June 30, 1958 while the school for girls closed on June 30, 1962.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Désignations alphanumériques

D-0003, U. R. 8, S2, D3; S1, SS4, D2

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés